I’ve always loved the combo of lemon and poppy seeds, so I knew this would be a winner. I sure wasn’t disappointed. It’s a rich and tasty sponge cake with just the right zing from the lemon.
Note that if you keep the loaf in the fridge, the coconut oil will harden. So make sure you leave it in room temperature for several hours before serving. But hey, you can finish the whole thing straight from the oven too! Here my take on a recipe from @glowingplants, converted into metrics.
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
7 dl plain flour
2,25 dl cane sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
4 dl almond or oat milk
2,25 dl coconut oil
0,5 tsp vanilla powder
4 tbsp lemon juice
zest from 2 lemons
0,5 dl poppy seeds
2,5 dl powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
2. Warm the plant milk and let the coconut oil melt in the milk. Pour into a bowl and whisk together with vanilla powder, lemon juice and lemon zest.
3. Add the cane sugar and whisk until diluted. Then and salt and baking powder. Now add flour, a deciliter or two at a time. Whisk until the batter is smooth before adding the poppy seeds. Mix well.
4. Line a loaf pan with baking tray paper. (Wet the paper and squeeze it, then you can easily shape it to fit the pan.) Pour the batter into the pan and bake it in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Test it with a toothpick, when it comes out dry the loaf is ready.
5. Carefully remove the loaf from the pan and peel the baking tray paper off. Set to cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before glazing.
6. Put powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and mix until smooth. Spread evenly over the loaf and leave it to harden for another 20 minutes before serving.