Sushi was a deal breaker when considering going plant based. I’d been craving sushi, and needed to find a good substitute. This tomato “tuna” was just what I was looking for! Great recipe from @plantd.co. Check out their video for a visual guide.
3 large tomatoes
2 dl sushi rice
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp Japanese soy
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp warm water
0,5 tsp nori flakes/nori paper
0,5 tsp smoked paprika
wasabi and sushi ginger
roasted sesame seeds
- Boil water in a saucepan. Cut a cross with a sharp knife at the base of the tomato, just through the peel. Put the tomatoes in the boiling water for about 1 minute until you see the first crack in the peel. Remove, rinse in cold water and peel carefully.
- Cut each tomato in six wedges and remove seeds and walls with a small knife or teaspoon.
- Mix soy, olive oil, warm water, nori flakes and paprika in a bowl. Add the tomato slices and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the sushi rice according to instructions on the packet and season with rice vinegar and sugar.
- Shape 18 nigiri nuggets with wet hands, add a smear of wasabi and place the tomato slices on top. Finish off with a dot of vegan mayo. Serve with soy, ginger and wasabi.